Without needing to join their Discord!
Please note this is an Alpha! Servers may unexpectedly go offline and things may become non functional
- Download Re-AOL.exe (Below). If you want or need a 16-bit version use the 16-bit installer (Not Recommended for most users)
- Navigate to your downloads, and double click on Re-AOL.exe
- When the installer is finished Re-AOL will be available in your start menu
- Invalid PW - if you used 10+ characters, it gets truncated to 10. Try using the first 10 of your password.
- If you can't sign-in or you get an error about your account being logged in, this is a known bug. It's being worked on.
- If you login to chat and you notice that you're unable to chat with other participants, you're likely desynchronized from the chat server. This is a known issue and being worked on.
- If you can't load up your previously saved buddy list - this is a known bug.
- If you can't interact with all of the AOL features as Guest - this is mostly intended functionality for guest accounts. Some of it is that we've not fully built out all of the functionality of the client so you may notice some features just simply don't work as expected.
- If you can't get connected to the reaol server and you're getting an error message on sign-in about your COM port being invalid, go to setup and change your network to TCP/IP.
- If you're trying to connect to the reaol services on anything but the 3.0 RE-AOL client, you will not be able to connect to the server on a fresh vanilla install as there's dependent changes and files you'll need that are not present on the vanilla install.
- If you have issues getting connected using HYPER-V disable the "Enhanced Session" mode and don't use RDP as it has issues rendering some of the AOL client elements.
- If you're using Windows 7 you may notice that the RE-AOL client won't load. This is due to a conflicting winsock.dll file in the RE-AOL install folder. Go into the RE-AOL install folder and delete that file and try again. Also, ensure that "Windows 95 Compatibility Mode" is enabled on the AOL and WAOL.exe's.
- If you have any issues getting the installer to work under Windows 3.1 use an unarchiver and unzip the RE-AOL installer EXE to a folder on your desktop. You should be able to run it directly from there.
- If you notice that your previously registered screen-name is not allowing you to login, says invalid password, or invalid SN - this could be due to you using a password thats > 10 characters in length. Try signing in using the first 10 characters of your password.
- If you experience any abnormalities that are not cited within this section please note that RE-AOL is in an ALPHA state which means, there's a strong likelihood of you running into bugs. We're doing our best to focus on stability right now, but these changes take time.
- If you're noticing that you cannot login to RE-AOL under the "New User" profile, this is reserved for people that have a registration key. You can find out more about this program by typing !donate in any of the channels. For all other users, you can freely sign into the RE-AOL server by simply changing the user name to "Guest"
- If you can't connect under a VM to the RE-AOL server and the connection times out or never completes, please ensure that your VM can surf the internet.